Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The way it was, now is.

I'm sorry for the gap in the updates, but things were changing, and changing, without much resolution.  So this is where it started.

First we thought we would leave on Jan. 26th, we even booked  the flight.  Then it came to light that we don't know if we would get our CA (Consulate Appointment) the week of the 8th or the 22nd.  The week in between was out as it is Chinese New Year.  So booking a return flight was a huge question mark.  But our travel agent called and said that we needed to book that day (Sunday) to get the cheap fare, if not, it would be an extra $350 extra per ticket, that's times seven!!

So I asked what happens if we book later in the week of the 22nd (when it's cheaper), and if we get in earlier for our CA, then we could change the ticket?  He said "No, don't book now, because not only would you have the extra charge, on top of that there is a $75 charge per ticket to change it!"   So what to do?  In order to get that CA we need a TA as I have said before.  To get the TA you have to have an Article 5 picked up from the Consulate and given to CCAA.  Then CCAA will issue a TA (Travel Approval),  that gets overnighted to the agency which then faxes it to the Consulate and emails the form requesting an appointment, whew.  

I asked the agency if they could request to expedite everything, but they said that they don't tend to do that any more as the child is already adopted by Chinese standards.  If we don't get an appointment the week of the 8th that means staying there a month to have the CA, which is way too expensive for us to do.  The agency said they would try to request an early CA, but because of the holiday and not having a TA yet, it didn't look good.  I asked, who is in charge of the adoption unit there, the agency didn't know.

So, I decided to do my usual Producer type thing...and I got the person's name and email.  I sent an email explaining the situation.  I received an email saying as soon as the TA is gotten, they would try to accommodate my request...  It comes down to this, if we do get the CA for the week of the 8th, we can leave any time after the 13th.  Unfortunately the cheap flights are sold out the 13,14,15,16,17, & 18th.  If we chose one of those dates that's where the extra $350 comes in.   Getting an appointment the week of the 22nd means staying in China a month.  Yes there will be cheaper fare but we still have to pay for 2 weeks of extra accommodation.  We can't leave later because of the aging out situation.  But I did change the departure from the 26th to the 28th, which saves 2 days of accommodation.

And of course when things finally shake out I will have to reschedule the ride to the airport, the accommodation in Beijing and Guangzhou, the people who will babysit our bunnies, the watering of plants, school work for the children, mail, the list goes on.  So I sit here at the starting line waiting to to take off.  And I'm waiting, and waiting, and waiting.  Perhaps there will be a little more information tomorrow.  It has to happen by Thurs, because that is China's Friday...

My head is splitting, and I'm tired.  I still need to pack for 4 people, and for the new daughters.  We have had friends donate clothes is the sizes we have guessed at.  And wouldn't you know it, we have to pack for two climates.  The first two cities are winter cold, sometimes in the teens.  The last stop fluctuates between 60's and 70's. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  These are life's little challenges that keep testing us and keeps us growing.

You know, I could use a few days without any more growth spurts...

No comments:

Post a Comment