Saturday, January 30, 2010

Update from the beyond

Hello Everyone:
Ok, I will try to start from the beginning...
We took off with no problems, but had a 5 hour lay over in Seoul starting at 4:30 in the morning. The airport was so quiet and deserted. It was a very long 5 hours. Well we got on our connection and before we knew it, we were in Beijing. But I wasn't feeling relieved as of yet because I knew we had to go through immigration. And just the luck of it, all three girls needed to go to the bathroom, so by the time we reached the area, the lines were very long and going no where. Out of the corner of my eye I spot a fast moving uniformed man, and i think, "Hmmm, he's going to open another line up." So I got ready, and the instant I saw him beckon, I rushed forward, forgetting to tell my family what I'm doing, so by the time I get up there as number 3 in the line, instead of number 43, they had gotten lost in my dust and were still standing there. I signaled to them and they rushed up to me. So, then we have a long walk to baggage claim, get our 7 bags, and find the driver to pick us up. It is now 11:30 am. We get to the apartment that we rented and collapsed. Slowly we unpacked, and one by one we laid down for a 'short nap'. By then we had been up for 46 hours. Two and a half hours later I wake up and realize, we need to eat dinner because it's 6:00 and we need to go to bed early. It is not easy to wake up 3 exhausted children. They were lumps. I picked up one of twins, and jumped up and down with her to shake her sleepiness out of her and sang to the tune Of "Gonna wash that man right out of my hair" "Gonna shake that sleepiness right out of your body and send it on it's way..." - no luck. Finally after 30 minutes of cajoling and pleading, we were on our way. Dinner then bed for one and all.
I am falling asleep every other sentence trying to write, wait to you see the girl's pictures asleep in the restaurant tonight. We could barely keep them awake to eat dinner. If we hadn't, they would have woken up in the middle of the night starving.
Let me start with today since I just mentioned the end of the day already.
What an amazing day, quite unpredictable. We had breakfast and then decided to go to the Forbidden City. The driver we had just happened to speak fairly good English and was a wealth of knowledge of the history of everything we saw. He made the whole experience very rich. We walked a lot going through much of the city.
We arrived back at our apartment for a 2:00 meeting. I had arranged this meeting before we left, but I wasn't sure if it was going to happen. A while back in my blog, I mentioned about the grass root organization called "baby Come Home" in China. Thousands of children are kidnapped each year and sold for a variety of purposes. When it's reported to the police, it is ignored, especially if it comes from a working class or peasant farmer. One father whose child was kidnapped became so frustrated that he started a web site called "Baby Come Home" to publicize the missing children. Parents would send a picture of their child, age, what they were wearing and place they disappeared. This father started small, but as the word spread and this became the only hope for parents, it grew rapidly. Thousands of parents registered, and more and more volunteers popped up in many cities to help in searching for these children. It's all volunteers, including the lawyer who does all their legal work, and his wife is a volunteer also for Baby Come Home.
Well, the lawyer, his wife, a friend who can translate and a reporter all showed up at two. I was thrilled that I was able to contact them. He told us that he had put my daughter's picture in the newspaper and her story in the city she came from. Well, as we sat here a reporter from that city called and said a man called up and said he believed that that could be his daughter, he even described a mark on her face. The reporter asked to speak with my daughter to get more information, he asked if she would come and take a DNA test. I said yes, if they would pay for transportation and hotel. Well, he wasn't very sure about that, so the lawyer got on the phone and started to convince him to do it. So the reporter is going to run another article to raise the money to make it happen. Do you believe this? it is so incredible. I never thought that this would happen.
So, I came to China to adopt two daughters and in the process, I may have a chance to locate my daughter's parents. And with the other reporter doing a story, this should publicize it even more. I'll let you know what happens. All in all the day was very exciting and fulfilling.
Tomorrow at 10:00 am we receive our first daughter, Xiao Qing, she is deaf. I will write about it. Right now I have to close my eyes every two sentences, and rest, I've completely fallen asleep twice writing the blog. So if there are typos, please forgive me.
Good night for now.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, you did have quite the first day! Please keep us posted on this. We can't wait to see your new daughters with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! How incredible!! Cannot wait to see your new girls with you and I will kepp you all in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a jump start! What will you do if you do locate your daughter's parents and they say she was kidnapped?

    ReplyDelete