Thursday, August 5, 2010

Shop to you drop - I almost did...

It started out as a just let's go to the mall, meet my friend with her daughter, and do some shopping.  All five girls went.  FOUR HOURS later, sore feet and back, I ended up shopping for all five girls.  We found a really great sale and just stayed in the store. Back and forth, back and forth from clothes to dressing room and back again.

Then we had my two new daughters who were noncommittal on everything I showed them all sorts of choices, one looked blankly at me and the other completely stonewalled me.  She just set her jaw and seemed slightly upset.  So I asked my friend to take her around in case it was me, but no, she showed no interest.  I pulled her aside and asked if something was bothering her.  She said "No."  I asked, "Are you sad about something?"  "No".  OK...  "Why don't you want to choose come clothes?"  No answer.  She finally comes up with she doesn't like the clothes here.  OK fair enough.  I say to her to let me know what kind of clothes she does like and I will find a store to take her to on another day.

I deal with my older daughter wanting more than I said she could have, I deal with the twins who are fairly cooperative but are distracted by the other things in the store like backpacks, jewelry, headbands...I deal with my deaf daughter who keeps signing "I don't know"  when I ask her "Do you like this?  Do you like this color?"  Finally I get her settled, she's the last one and I'm ready to check out.  I turn around and what do I see? My daughter who wanted no part in the shopping escapade suddenly has her arms full of clothes to go and try on! I silently think, now where did that come from?, and proceed to encourage her by saying that's a great color, or look at that style, or that is so cute on you.  But all this added another 45 minutes onto this day of supposed casual/short shopping.

This is my first experience of taking all five shopping, remind me not to do it again.

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully they are all set to start school, at least! I will call you Monday and we will check the weather forecast and plan a beach day....OK?

    ReplyDelete