Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I forgot to mention the final step in the Spa treatment.  One of the twins got out all her Easter candy (I make them sort out their Halloween & Easter candy and keep only a small bit in a plastic bag in the kitchen), and she put it all in a basket an offered some as my treatment was over.  I would definitely say that it was a full service Spa.  They made their Father make an appointment for today for his pedicure and massage.  He also received the full treatment minus the nail colors and designs...

Now their next customers will be their Girl Scout leaders and they can earn a couple of badges from it as well.  They are so industrious.

I found out today, that my daughter CAN hear with her hearing aids on.  I thought they weren't working because she never responded to anything including working with her on 'hearing' her name.  Through a little Q & A, I discovered that she has no 'connections' in her brain to hear sounds, they don't register.  That makes sense you say, well yes, but somehow that barely crossed my mind.  So I explained to her that as soon as she hears her name she must look right away to see who is calling her.  I did a few experiments when her back was turned and darn if she didn't hear each time, she even said she did.  She just didn't know what to do when she did hear.  So now I need to create new exercises to start connecting those synapse and training her brain to recognize sounds.  Yet one more thing on my 'To Do' list.

So I started today, I sat her down and started her on listening to the alphabet.  I  didn't want her to say the letters, just listen to the sounds.  I took a long time working with her, and made comparisons such as the sound for "I" and "eye".  Then I would say a letter and have her try and sign what she thought I was saying.  And for such a short time, she got a lot correct.  Then we moved onto the vowels, and the long and short sound symbols.  With a lot of explanation and examples she started to understand the theory behind long & short vowels and how they effect the pronunciation of a word.  Then we had fun with a picture book where I chose things that are in a bathroom.  We did, towel, soap, bathroom, toilet, and a few others.  Again I tested her by saying the word and having her point to the picture.  When she got it wrong, it really wasn't wrong because it was part of the process of training the ear. It was a lot of fun, and a lot of work.  And we did numbers up to ten, and 'who', 'what', 'where' & 'why'.  Yes it seems like a lot on the first go around, but she was enthusiastic, so I kept going.  We'll go over them again tomorrow.

This could be a start of great things to come...

1 comment:

  1. That is so amazing how she can hear and she is going to be learning soo fast now because this must be so exciting for her! Maybe you can check out the videos in the children's section of your local library because they may have videos that will teach her to hear the word and see the object and also teach the girls some English words. The Your Baby Can Read Videos which my library has says the word, shows it written on the screen, and shows what the object or action is. Of course they are older and may be bored by some of the shows the kids section may have but some are pretty good and more tolerable to me than others. Those shows are meant to teach toddlers new words and terms so I cannot see why it couldn't help those learning English. It may sound crazy but maybe the PBS show Word World really could help them learn new words, see what that object is, and how to spell them(which I don't mind watching with my kids as an adult and actually really like). It is on every day. For learning the alphabet the Sesame Street Video "Learning About Letters" (my library has that one) is good to hear the sound and see the letter and as an adult I love it so I bet they would too. My toddlers learned to read the letters and say them in a few viewings of it. Here is it on youtube this person seems to have posted it in many clips. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y8AZTCibZA&feature=related It sounds crazy to plop them in front of the tv but there are so many good videos to learn quickly from. Yes they may be older but in so many ways they have to go back and start at the beginning (in many ways like toddlers) to learn that stuff so they can move on! Just like how you are having to teach them now how to identify feelings and how to address or express it. Everything you describe seems to be what I'm doing with my 2 yr olds! (shh don't tell the girls that...lol) You are doing an amazing job and they are going to be great women some day! Have you played different sorts of music for your deaf daughter? I can only imagine how strange that would be for her but yet exciting.

    ReplyDelete