Sunday, May 9, 2010

No electricity

That is my excuse for not writing last night.  We had high winds and we lost power for 8 hours.  I put everyone to bed early.  I was up most the night because I couldn't sleep, I kept waiting for the electricity to go back on.  So I'm tired.

Tomorrow will be my deaf daughter's first day of school, she is very excited, as am I.  And also tomorrow I will get into the routine for homeschooling my other daughter.  And I will start the 2nd battle with the school system about teaching English to my daughter.  I received a letter from them on Friday, and even with my 3 page letter, and notebook full of published studies of how International adopted children learn differently - they still don't GET it!  The letter, from the Assistant Superintendent basically said that she'll learn English if she was in a social situation at school.  What?   Quote: "I am concerned that this (homeschooling) would prevent her from social and academic settings that would allow opportunities to demonstrate and practice English by being immersed in the school environment."

She must have blown off all the research that I gave them because it specifically says that Internationally adopted children do not learn like immigrant children do, and it gives the reasons.  Did she not read also when I explained my daughter's shyness and feeling inadequate because she doesn't understand the students when they speak to her and she doesn't have the words to speak to them?   And presently she cannot take any other course because she doesn't understand what is being said.  She has gotten more social interaction with us and going to friend's houses and outings than she ever had in school.

I am very angry at the total disregard of my daughter's needs.  They are instead giving the 'party line' and not thinking outside of the box.  Well, look out, I am officially on the war path now, both barrels are loaded. I will respond tomorrow to this letter and attach even more evidence to back my words and I intend to call the Office of English Language Acquisition which is part of the U.S. Department of Education in Washington, D.C. tomorrow and see if they have any advice for me.  That will be among just a few calls that I will be making.

I am on night duty tonight so I am going to sleep early tonight to try and catch up from last night.  Hope all  Mothers out there had a wonderful and special day.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy you got your deaf daughter into the school. I'm sure that will give her better social/family skills, having to follow rules, etc. I hope something works out for the other new daughter.
    I love reading your blog entries, I feel like we're chatting on the phone. Wish we could catch up in person. Maybe I can talk Gary into a trip north this summer...

    ReplyDelete