Sunday, May 16, 2010

I have needed to use my brain and emotions so much in the past month and a half, that I have found that I am immobilized.  I can't seem to face the littlest of tasks without becoming overwhelmed. I drift without accomplishing anything.  That is one of the reasons I haven't written in a few days.

My deaf daughter is really testing the boundaries.  And keeping up with her toddler behavior before she breaks something or puts herself in danger is very tiring.  Yesterday she got out of the wrong side of the car, after it was parked, directly into the line of traffic.

I had bought another shampoo for her to try, and I showed her what it was and to use it...  Remember before I had to number the shampoo #1, and the creme rinse #2 so she would use them in the correct order?  Tonight I had the whole family go out for a walk after dinner.  When we got back she said she was hot a sweaty and proceeded to smell under arms a few  times and make faces.  I told her she was taking a shower tonight, and she said no.   I said yes, shower now.  She still balked and made faces of being deeply put upon.  I said shower now, go!  Every time I tell her to take a shower we go through this which can be very exasperating.  On Friday morning she was taking a huge amount of time to get downstairs to go to school.  She was running late.  I go upstairs to see what the heck she's doing, and I enter the bathroom and she's washing her arms!  What!?  What are you doing?  She replied they were dirty.  I said that is why I tell you to take showers!! ARRGH!

Back to the story anyway, as she was in the shower tonight I go in and check on her and she signs, #1, #2, #3.  No, that is the new shampoo not #3.  You are supposed to use this as #1 instead of the other #1.  But I found out she has been doing- shampoo-creme rinse-shampooing.  I have also found yet another shirt that she has ruined because she tore out the label which left two large hole in it.

I was helping her with her homework and she was learning about American coins and adding.  There were pictures of the front and back of all the coins. She could label one picture of each coin the correct amount that it represented.  But she could not comprehend that the other pictures were the reverse side of the same coins.  She does not have any deductive reasoning skills.   We have such a long way to go with her.

On a brighter note, she will be having her very first birthday celebration soon.  I will be taking her to a wonderful zoo with her friend who is Chinese and also deaf.  It will be a great day. She also keeps signing a cake and blowing out candles, she is besides herself with excitement to have her first birthday cake.  On the actual day, I'm a little hard put who to have at a party for her, but I will have balloons and the cake and presents.  She is still a little girl and this will be a dream come true for her.

Tonight, just before bed, she signed something to me, and she needed to do it several times, because I couldn't quite get the concept.  Finally I understood, I think.  It went something like...when I'm 14 will I fly to China, and who will sleep in my bed, her older sister?  It took a long time to explain that she can live here for as long as she chooses, and this will always be her bed.  You and your two older sisters are different people and each of you will make different choices.  When you are all grown up if you want to move to a different place you can, but you can also choose to stay.  You can even be living here when you are 30.  (She looked SO surprised at that!)  When she finally understood, she got a look on her face that said.."Hmmm, imagine that."

Then after I remade her bed, she had the sheet upside, and no pillow case, she lay down and grabbed two teddy bears, one in each arm.  She signed this one is the Papa, and this one is the Mama, and she squeezed them tight with a huge smile on her face and let out a squeal of delight.  

2 comments:

  1. I feel for you-we went through so much of what you are experienceing. Alex still drives me insane, trying to do things his way--which is often distructive. I don't know if this will work for you, but we make Alex do push ups or sit-ups everytime he doesn't do what is asked or did something he was specifically told not to do-like destroy things. It has decreased this type of behavior a lot.
    You need to take some time just for yourself- I felt exactly like you do, I know it is hard to do-especially with lots of children and several who are high needs. But you need to do it! Cara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog several weeks ago...I've been checking here and there and just want to send some "e-support" as you work through all that's going on :) The one we brought home 19 mos ago @ 10 yrs old sounds very much like the one who is testing you; very similar behaviors. Much of the most ridiculous stuff she did faded away over time; but I'll be honest and say she drives me batty with something highly irrating/dangerous/ridiculous every day..I am weary of it. She gets all her posessions taken away as a consequence here and there and she has to "earn" them back. 7 months ago I took away her favorite bedding (gave her old, unmatching stuff in the interim) for being downright mean to a sister...she had to earn it back by doing "acts of love" for that sister; thus far, she still has a sheet and one more pillow case to earn back. She didn't get to go on her class field trip because of immature behaviors that made me think she could get lost/hurt if she went (she was warned, repeatedly). I exchange emails with the extra teachers (gym/art/music) every couple weeks and we have to recite the rules for their class again and again....the next step is sitting next to her in those classes :( Fools around on the stairs and falls; walks into roads without looking, wears the dirtiest jeans to bed despite having PJ's. Tonight I'm moving her back to a 5 yr old bedtime (we have two 5's also). Our mantra..when you stop acting like you are 5, you won't be treated like you are 5. I don't know if any of this might give you any different ideas on how to handle this one; but sometimes it helps to know there are others out there dealing with the same issues. At least that's what I tell myself when I'm close to blowing a gasket with her :) Jennifer

    ReplyDelete