Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A quickie update tonite, it's after 11:00, I just got home from a call to a new born, born at home not breathing.  So I was on scene by the time he was 45 minutes old. Very interesting for me since I have never seen a baby that young before.  Although the infant was breathing a bit by the time we got there, he was blue.  By the time we got to the hospital he had pinked up but still had grunting sounds.  I believe he is going to be fine.

I am going to list a few things that my deaf daughter has done, definitely keeps me on my toes.
Walked by her room and saw her tearing pages out of a book I leant her.
Still trying to wear the same clothes two days in a row.
Walked into the dentist's office and proceeded to walk right past reception into the back rooms.
Purposely was going to 'steal' a magazine when we left the office. I stopped her and signed that's not yours, it belongs to the office. She looked at me with a "So?" look on her face. I again signed you do not take things that are not yours, it belongs here.  She looked at me like I've got to be kidding.  Finally I said, it is stealing and you do not ever do that. You never take things that don't belong to you....  Nothing. ... I signed "Put it back."   She got an attitude look on her face and sauntered back in and put it down.
Then she washed her gardening gloves that should not have been washed.
We all went out for a walk after dinner and I told her to stay on the left side of the road, and explained why.  I also asked her to either walk next to me or behind me, not way out in front of me.  Well she did, and on the right side, and a car came along and she was just about to weave over into it's path.  I ran and reached out and caught her hood and yanked her back just as the car went by.  Was I angry (and a little bit scared) you betcha.  My fingers were flying at her.  It was quite frustrating not being able to say everything I wanted to because her ASL is so limited.  But I got my point across.  And she cried.  When we finally got home, I had a very long talk with her through Bable Fish.  I explained how being scared also looks like anger, was I angry, yes, but not as much scared that she might be hit by a car.  And so on...  It took about 40 minutes.

I have come to realize that she has grown up in a very sequestered environment with very few reality checks, learning what common sense is or how to use it and very little awareness of how the real world works.  Yes, it is going to be a long road.

2 comments:

  1. I understand and sympathize with what you are going through (except for the non-hearing part). Our Alex (now 12) was exactly that way-so sheltered from reality, he had no clue how the world works, almost exactly what you are dealing with-now 16 months later he is starting to "get it" but we had our share of near-miss experiences with cars too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your family are having quite an adventure! I read your blog to see how things are going for you and admire your patience and perseverance through it all. Just a context for the clothing thing - having just returned from a trip to Europe, I was again reminded that most of the rest of the world wears the same outfit for 2 or 3 or 4 or more days in a row - and so what your daughter is doing is the norm for most, and so just one more thing to learn to do differently in her life. Enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete