Sunday, April 18, 2010

Anna if you would like to contact me further, it would be so interesting for me.  So please email me at:   nicoj5473@yahoo.com.
Now, to catch up quickly. I am dismayed at our school system.  I went through all the proper channels to get the appropriate teaching resources for my daughter to learn English. And as you remember I even had someone from the State call the Director of Special Services with her "thoughts" on what would an appropriate instructors training should be and the that should be used.  I even had a strong conversation with the Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent of Schools.  Nothing has happened.  Thursday my daughter broke down in tears, she was miserable.  Here is a typical day for her, in her words. She goes to the teacher who is supposed to be teaching her English, in fact she is a reading teacher.  The teacher asks her what book she wants to read.  Of course it doesn't cross her mind that she's only been in the country several weeks and hasn't a clue to what book to read.  Next she is given a book and instructed to write down words she doesn't know, like proclamation, cactus, Musketeers, construction paper and  asteroids. These are not the type of words you use to teach English as a second language. She has yet to learn grammar, sentence structure and appropriate vocabulary. 


Thus I have informed the powers that be, that until they provide a n appropriate English program for my daughter, I will be home schooling her.
She also had said that in history she just waited for the bell to ring because she could not understand what was being said, and in math she is at least 3 years above what they are teaching and she was bored. She was so frustrated she said through her tears, she couldn't understand what she was supposed to be learning in English as it was being taught to her.  I have taught her in two days more than she has learned in three weeks.
 And did I mention, we got in today another foster bunny? 

No comments:

Post a Comment