Thursday, April 22, 2010

Oh my gosh, I do believe my deaf daughter would be a perfect candidate for the show "What Not To Wear".  It is a new episode every morning when she comes down.  I have learned not to to expect 'normal', whatever that is. This morning she came down in pants 2 inches too long, and a belt scrunching large amounts of material at the waist,  AND a turquoise long sleeve shirt underneath a short sleeve white and yellow t-shirt!  And every day she comes downstairs with her pants  stuffed into her socks so that she looks like she's wearing pantaloons, (did I just date myself?).  It is never ending.
The other day I hit my limit because the coping many times a day with her finally was too much. She didn't like the label in a shirt because it made her itch so she ripped it out leaving two large holes in it, I was not happy.  She had asked for scissors several times before to cut out labels, so she did know better.  The same day I discovered that she had ripped the glued-in inserts out of her new shoes. This is just a small bit of many things that occur every day.  She has also broken several things as well.  It is SO hard not to become frustrated with her!  She has lived isolated all her life with no auditory input to learn what you do and don't do. No one cared enough to correct her or try to communicate with her.  I need to gear myself to think of her as a toddler and watch her at all times, (that will be exhausting), which will be hard to remember because she is almost 12 years old.

A friend informed me how to withdraw my daughter from school legally so they don't come after me.  I have completed the necessary letters, now I just need to include back-up documents of why I think how they are teaching my daughter is inadequate.

Since I must complete everything today, I'll leave off for now, but I will be adding more tid bits as the day wears on.


AND to top off all that, my dh was walking through her room, and I heard him say, "What are you doing?  What were you going to do with that?"  I called, "Do you need me?"  "Yes, you better come."  I walked in and my dh said that she had her shirt raised and a pencil in her hand.  She was about to draw circles on her stomach!!  I asked her, "Where you going to draw on your skin?"  She nodded.  "WHY?" I asked. She shrugged.  "Why were you going to draw on your stomach?"  She replied, "To play."  Oh heaven help me, she IS a toddler in a 12 year old body.

I have worked all day on the paperwork that I am assembling for my other daughter to give to the Superintendent tomorrow.  I think I'm permanently stuck to this chair.  And I got nothing done for the birthday party today. This is so not like me.  Before children (B.C.) I was a type A, now I'm a type Z.

1 comment:

  1. I really sympathize with you. Word for word the issue with the clothes and destruction could be my Alex. I am praying for you!

    ReplyDelete