Monday, April 26, 2010

Kelly, I took your advise and sent the letter to the Chair of the Board of Education.  Thank you.
I just overheard my 9 year old twin say,"I want a limousine, and a driver, and a 24 hour chef".  Now where the heck did she get that from?!  There is no way she experienced having that nor saw it on TV because TV is only one day a week, and I monitor what it is.  She's definitely better choose a career that could afford things like that.

I survived the 16th birthday party. The girls arrived and I took them for a manicure and pedicure. I arranged a special price with the owner before hand, and the birthday girl was free. I only paid for 3 girls.
I bought on line 'Margarita' glasses that have two light up functions all the way up the stem. You can choose one color out of 4 or press again and it all changes from color to color. Then I got straws that light up in colors.  And the cool thing was, when you sipped from the straw the color moved up and down.  And of course there were the glowing bracelets that were in unusual colors, and the earrings that lit up in different colors, and the bracelets.  All this in a darkened room with a strobe light going and Japanese rock music blaring (don't ask...).

All the glow and light things that I bought were incredibly inexpensive.  I also borrowed one of those Dance games.  You know the ones that show up on the TV and you have to step in the direction of the arrows?  A good time was had by all, with very little financial out put from us.  Dinner was a BBQ, and snacks after were made by me or bought at Trader Joes.  I also made a huge amount of punch with floating lemons & oranges with sparkling apple juice, frozen lemonade, and bubbly water.  The girls wiped out at least 3-4 gallons of punch.  They watched "Hair Spray" until 1:00 am and then they all went to sleep.  They slept until 9:30.  We gave them home made crepes for b-fast and cut up fresh fruit. They were originally supposed leave about 10:00, but they got up so late I called the parents and said their girls would call them when they were ready to be picked up.  Ahem, they all left around 1:30. in the afternoon.

Today was the first day of home schooling.   In an hour and a half she learned more than the 3 weeks at she had at school .  I also worked with my deaf daughter.  I taught her 119 signs in American Sign Language.  I also had her start to learn to spell the words, and learn English.

 Not the best timing, although it never is, we had to replace our water tank at $675. We have another problem which is either a $1200 bill or a valve which is $50.  We'll find out tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. You should join a bunch of other homeschoolers of adopted kids over at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Fortheloveofmykids/ There is a lot of great advice and you could fill us in on your experience with homeschooling older kids from China

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Last summer I was worried about Alex losing some of his skills during summer I made him play on our computer-learning english or reading games-I bought them at rummage sales but I know there are a lot of the internet-but we have dial-up so it doesn't work for games. Hooked on phonics was one disk I bought for our then 5 year old but it worked great for Alex. When school started his ESL/ELL teacher said she's never had a student who had any phonics skills and this made his learning to read a lot easier.
    Just a couple of ideas for homeschooling. Sounds like you had a great party.

    ReplyDelete