Monday, February 22, 2010

And then there were the not so funny things like when we were walking across a road, we got to the other side and I turned around to check everyone was with me and right in the middle of the road my deaf daughter had crouched down to tie her shoe! What we take for granted...  Then I started to back out of my driveway, and I was going, I turned around and she was walking around (in my mini van)!

I'm afraid fashion is not on my deaf daughter's list of specialties.  The combinations that she comes up with would even make a punk dresser's eyes cross.  And if I let her, she would wear the same outfit 5 days in a row.

Did I mention that I didn't realize that both daughter's didn't know how to use a shower curtain?  I mean by putting the liner INSIDE the tub?  I was made aware of this, in China, when the bathroom flooded, and I do mean flooded.

A thought for all you adoptive parents, try to dig if you see a 'hint' that a question was uncomfortable.   Hopefully you will get  snippets of information about their past that might need extra attention in the healing process.  My deaf daughter made an offhand (get it, off hand? sign language?, oh never mind) comment, sort of air slapping her face. I pursued asking her about it and she said that she was just joking... Naw, I didn't think so.  So , I pursued it gently and came to find out a third grade math teacher physically abused her when she didn't know an answer, or got one wrong.  He would slap her face, pinch her cheek extremely hard or use a switch on her bottom.  All in front of the class.  If I ever meet this man I will personally rip his testicles off!  Now I know that there is a particular healing I must do.  Yesterday I found another.  She used to dance Chinese dance in a group for a year or two.  I asked her if she wanted to keep doing it.  She teared up and shook her head.  I asked what was making her sad, she said she didn't know.  I asked several questions and got the same answer, so I left it.  I will be re-visiting that in the near future.

So parents pursue those small signals, you never know where they might lead you...

1 comment:

  1. We adopted two brothers 14 and 10 almost 15 months ago. We had to teach them to do everything-We take for granted even little things. My advice, teach them how you want them to do everything now (such as wash themselves, how often to bath, how to brush their teeth correctly, everything or some bad and annoying habits will start showing up. Thanks for sharing everything, please keep them coming. Hopefully we will be head to China for a little one this year too!

    ReplyDelete