Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Mom to the rescue

Thank you to those people that told me they were listening, it is quite comforting.

One daughter was home sick today, (2nd day), so I worked at the computer on my fundraising.
Everything was quiet until...

I was required to wear two hats simultaneously.  When my older daughter was 15 minutes late in arriving home, I sent my husband out in the car to the end of the road to see if she was on her way.  He called and said she was no where in sight.  Hmmm, I thought.  I called the school and said "Where is Bus #1?"  They replied, it had an accident, it was sideswiped, no one is hurt, and they told me what road it was on.  Luckily it was just 2 minutes from us.  I called James to go there to bring her home.  They wouldn't let him through or take her home.  So I told him to come back to the house and I would go.  I figured if I put my EMT gear on I'd look official and any way I probably knew the police that were there. Just as I was pulling on my pants, my pager went off saying woman with chest pains just down the same road as the bus.

OK, Now I'm really on my way...  I arrive and park.  I start walking towards the scene, 3 police cars, ambulance, etc, totally active.  I was wondering how the ambulance was going to get through to the heart patient when the road was totally blocked.  Turned out it was the bus driver.  The car involved had a Mom and 2 little children.  I first got on the bus to see if my daughter was alright.  As I get on, all the kids start saying Hi Mrs, Nicoloro, Hi, will you call my Mom?... I see they are all fine.  I then ask the other EMTs if they need help.  So off with the Mom hat on with the EMT hat. I help out a bit, call some Moms to reassure them, then finally pop my Mom hat back on grab my daughter and go home.

Oh my daughter thought it was so cool that I 'rescued' her.  Guess I racked up some points with my teenager, which is always a very good thing.

1 comment: