Thursday, March 4, 2010

I'm back!

I apologize for the long pause in communication.

To catch you up a bit...
I caught my deaf daughter wearing pajamas UNDER her clothes again
For some unknown reason she decided turn all he hangers around so the hook part was facing out front.
She had a stuffed toy that when you squeezed it it would talk.  All she knew is when she squeezed it she felt a box in it. So wondering what the box was she took scissors and cut off the top of the head and dug through the stuffing to pull it out!
The other night I heard someone laughing, a really cute laugh and I don't recognize it.  So I start walking around the house to trace it.  And lo and behold it was my deaf daughter watching her favorite Chinese TV show that had sub titles in Chinese.  It was so funny.

My other new daughter prefers to stay home. I need to drag her out to go places. I think she also may be a bit enamored by her big sister, because I found her folding her sister's laundry while her sister sat there doing homework. (I wouldn't put it past my older daughter to have 'suggested' her doing just that). I told her "No, no, don't fold her laundry, she can do it herself. Thank you any way."  I walked away and a few minutes later my deaf daughter comes into the room to say that she's folding the laundry again.  I had her come to me and I said. "Did you finish folding the laundry?"  She said, "No".  I said, "Don't go back into the room for one hour".  She groaned, "Awwww".

Next week I will have my first meeting the the powers that be, at the school, to try and get the services that I want for my girls.  Here's how it breaks down:

One daughter was in 9th grade and on target grade wise.  I want to put her in the last half of 8th grade for several reasons. One is for her to get used to American kids, culture, school system, courses. Second, I want her to have an interpreter in class. Third I want at least two periods a day spent on learning English.  And fourth, her older sister goes to that school.  In Sept. she can then enter 9th grade and the High School scene.

For my deaf daughter it is quite complicated.  Because, as I said before, the Director of Special Needs is a pompous fool,  I will have to jump through so many hoops, go to many meetings, prepare masses of paperwork, hire a legal advocate, and tear some of my hair out. He will balk at spending any kind of money form his budget.  And the cost for bussing and the tuition of the deaf school is rather large.  He will try to prove that he can bring in people to educate her...l  Which is interesting because there are no deaf children in the school, there are no ESL classes and there is no one that knows Chinese Sign Language.  And if she did go there who would she socialize with?  No one knows sign language.  The list goes on.  I will update on a regular basis as time goes on.

I'm going to end now.  I got up at 5:30 this morning to work an 8 hour ambulance shift at our local hospital.  It was a busy day with a lot of calls.  I will be back tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment