Sunday, March 14, 2010

It Saturday and I skipped Friday.  It's not always easy to write or find time to do so. I'm not sure what I did Friday...  I know I did errands with my new daughters, then came home to get ready for some old high school friends  who were coming over.  Yes, that's where I'll start - me.  I had 4 friends over that I grew up with that, some I haven't seen in 10 years. There is something very comforting to have friends that you spent so many of your early years with.  It so much like extended family, there's a feeling of safeness.  I know that sounds strange, but for me, being with people I knew for so long from an early age creates a connection that is solid.

We talked and laughed for almost 4 hours. There was a lot of "Do you remember..."  Those sort of conversations trigger so many memories. It helped me to remember there were special times in my life that helped to form me. It is also very interesting to hear how people viewed you.  Because almost always it isn't how you saw yourself. I admit it, I need to know that people liked me, had positive memories about me.  And maybe saw something special in me that I never saw.  We all need that now and then.

Three minutes after my last friend left, (midnight) as I was cleaning up, my pager goes off saying there is an MVA roll over with wires down. Within seconds I pulled my jeans off, on with my EMT pants, called in as I headed out the door.  Went to the firehouse, into the ambulance, and we were on our way. Since it was on the town line, two towns of fire engines showed up. We arrive, and there is a car on it's roof, all the windows are blown out and the telephone pole has been compromised. The patient apparently had gotten out of his vehicle and had been taken into a neighbor's house. The neighbor had no electricity because the wires were down.  So I held my flashlight under my chin, held c-spine and the other EMTs did their evaluation. I continued using my chin (not very comfortable I might add) to hold the flashlight as I prepared the patient for transfer. So the long and the short of this is, I didn't get into bed until 3:00 this morning.  I was SO tired I fell asleep in the back of the ambulance on the way home. This morning I had to get the twins up for Girl Scouts.  Then I went back to bed for a short while. But there were other things to do this day.

A new talent has been discovered from our deaf daughter. She has what my dh describes as photographic artistic talent.  Which means, she can look at a picture and reproduce it beautifully.  She did this one picture from a book cover with a girl on it who had this emotional look on her face, body language and in her eyes.  Well, by golly my daughter captured it perfectly.  OK then, (a favorite expression of one of my friends who has 14 children), so we have discovered this talent of hers.  We will absolutely nurture it because she loves to draw.  I can't wait to find out more about this little person.  Obtaining more language will certainly help that!

We are on an incredible journey of discovery with these two daughters.

No comments:

Post a Comment