Sunday, March 7, 2010

Hello All, I will be quick as it is past one in the morning.  I wasn't able to get to the blog before this because I was doing research from the various sources at Gallaudet University for my fight with the school to have my deaf daughter sent to the deaf school instead of mainstreaming here in a system where there are zero resources, so they would have to bring every single one in.

So here is a quickie update.  I decided to have quality time with each of my new daughters.  First was my deaf daughter.  She came with me to drop the twins off at sewing lessons.  I also introduced her to the teacher and explained the machines to her.  Because the morning session is for little girls and the afternoon session is for the older kids and she would be in that one.

After that I took her out to breakfast and we sat and talked for a while, as she ate her egg sandwich that she just discovered she liked.  On the way home I was distracted .  Out of the corner of my eye I saw her moving her hands around. Thinking that she was talking to me I glanced over at her.  I then realized what she was doing...she was talking to herself! And she continued to do so most of the ride home. Far be from me to interrupt her.

My other daughter's quality time was to go to several towns over to my sister's book signing at Borders Books.  On the way I asked questions of her, to get to know more about what interest her.  She likes to play badminton and she wants to continue to play violin. And of course we listened to Rock 'n Roll the whole way.  We got there and stayed for a while. I brought her to a book section that was for her age.  I suggested several books to her, and she finally chose one, which is very exciting because it's really her first English book.  The plan is that as she reads she will write down words that she doesn't know or can't pronounce.  It will give her a leg up on learning English.  We left and as I was driving I pulled into a ice cream place.  I asked her if she wanted ice cream and her face lit up. I introduced her to soft cream that could be rolled in any topping. I personally got vanilla covered in chocolate - Yum.  When we got to the car she was just giggling. The more I enjoyed my ice cream with sounds of yummm, or this is SO good, she giggled even more.  She just seemed very delighted that her Mom was getting so much pleasure from the ice cream.  And right up to the end she had the biggest smile on her face as if she were totally amazed at my spontaneity and silliness.  I think a new door opened up between us.

I'm off to bed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment