Monday, September 13, 2010

My Mother's Celebration of Life party went very well.  People appeared form my past that I hadn't seen for at least 40 years.  It was very special.

I was hoping to hear from the Office of Civil Rights today regarding the schools giving my daughter English grammar so she could access an equal education, but I didn't.  I will rattle their cage tomorrow.

My twins like their new school.  We are presently revving up or the b-day party this Saturday. I'll explain more tomorrow, but suffice it to say it will be a bit of work and creative energy...

My older daughter has indicated a few things that leads me to believe that it is now out of my range of experience to help her.  So for 3 hours today I researched many possibilities for an adoption therapist, which in my area is not many.  I found one, we went today, my daughter is happy with her and wants to go again.  Financially it will be a great hardship, she doesn't take our insurance.  The only other one I found that does take our insurance was a little over an hour away.  I am very sure that she needs to see this person right now in her life, and I realize it needs to be long term, I'm just not sure how to make it all work.

The deaf school is willing to meet with me after I wrote a letter that said in part:
 "I sincerely hope I will not have to continually remind everyone  again that she has only been in this country 7 months and does NOT know English and her ASL is very limited.  Would you please treat her as an ESL student.  Give her basic vocabulary with the signs that go with them.  Teaching her nouns before she has any vocabulary is counter-productive.  As her parent my request is that her education at this point is focused mainly on vocabulary, sign, math and nothing else. You will need to develop a special program for her.  You are not meeting her needs at this point."  

So three out of five children are settled in school at this point.  That's more than half, right?

I just came back from my EMS meeting so I'm off to early bed.  I hope to wake tomorrow, cheery, full of energy with a little blue bird on my shoulder.  (You have to be over 55 to understand that reference).

3 comments:

  1. I'm not over 55, but I know that reference. Here's hoping for "plenty of sunshine...." tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zippity Doo Da!!! Here's to plenty of sunshine & that little blue bird!!

    And I am not over 55 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH Dear Kathleen. I have been so busy the last 3 weeks (school started here August 25) that I am just catching up with your blog. I am SO sorry to hear about your mother. I was just looking through photo 'files' the other day, and was admiring photos of her. I'll send those along in an email. She was a great woman. I'm glad I got to enjoy time with her at the twins partys. I have been very busy with church, school politics (bad), town politics (also bad), school work, the girls activities, and... well YOU of all people know how it is. My life is a candle to your lighthouse. hoho. Miss you terribly.

    ReplyDelete