Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I return with a quick post.

Thank you for your kind support.  I have been absent because I have not had the energy to write.

There is not a lot to update except some of the 'usual' stories about my daughter who is deaf.  Hmmm, I probably should just list them.  Well she still can't manage to remember to zip up her zipper, I have to check it every time I see her.  It's just not in her radar to think of as important.  Then she came to me signing something about something not tasting good.  I walked into her room, she pointed, I looked at carved wood birds, and I signed, "What?"  Again she pointed at the birds.  I looked closely, and there was a glo stick around one of birds.  She had bit into the glo stick!  I asked "Why?"  She replied that she didn't know..sigh.

She also has no sense of time, she got up late today, I mean really late. Slowly she came down stairs, the bus was coming in 5 minutes, and she proceeds to take a pot out to warm up some rice for breakfast. I said to her, there is no time to heat the rice and there is no time to eat the rice, eat cereal instead. She could not understand why she couldn't have the rice.  I broke it down for her, it takes about 4 minutes to heat the rice and about 4-5 minutes to eat it.  You now have 3 minutes until the bus comes!  And all this is before I had my coffee...

She always forgets to put her papers, homework and books in her backpack.  Now mind you, I ask, "Did you put everything in your back pack?"  She always answers "Yes."  Then I will ask specifics, and she says, "Oh, I forgot," and proceeds to finally pack it. In her tunnel focus of, "I see it, I want it, or I do it," she fails to ask first.  She took out all the sheets from he closet and re-stacked them.  I know she was just trying to help, but now all the bottom sheets are mixed with the top sheets and the twins, and doubles and queen sheets are all together. She did the same with ALL her clothes putting jeans in her draws, hanging up sweat pants, putting short and long sleeves together and, well you get the picture.  Because of that it takes her forever to get dressed. So I re-did everything,again, and told her not to change it.

So many things to teach her, and to watch out for. I need to devote a lot of time to her because she has such a long way to go.

My other girls are doing well. I do have a concern about one of the twins.  I sense something happening there that isn't very positive.  I've tried a 'casual' chat with her a couple of times to try and figure out what was happening underneath, but to no avail.  I think I might need to press a little bit harder.

One last thing, I want to share a bit about what I wrote about my Mother for the obituary.

"While attending College she became interested in marine biology and spent years researching shark behaviors.  She was a trained scuba diver and has hand fed sharks.

She served on the Board of Directors for the Amer*can R*d Cros*, the Town Association, she was one of the founders of the Church, a G*rl Sc*ut Leader, served on numerous PTAs and was on the Board of Directors for the Pony Club. 
She was a world traveler. On her trip to Africa, she had the honor bestowed upon her by being accepted as a member of the Masai tribe.       

She chose to start a new career in her 40’s.  She became a Real Estate agent.  After many successful years in real estate, she was as one of the first Corporate Relocation Consultants. She finally retired when she was 68.
She is remembered as a caring person that was a great friend and Mother.  She had tireless energy devoted to her family and work.  She was also an avent garde type Mother, that in the 60’s liked rock n’ roll, blue jeans and marched for peace."


3 comments:

  1. What an awesome life. She certainly made the most of the time she had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo of your beautiful mother. She was an extraordinary woman. Like mother, Like Daughter!

    LOL! Have to laugh at some of the stories of your daughter. Sounds sooo familiar. I have given up on some issues -- he can just wear socks with his flip-flops, and shorts underneath his karate gi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy I sure hope My 12 yr old and your deaf daughter don't meet and get married. They are two pees in a pod. He does those exact things! Cara

    ReplyDelete