Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My poor daughter who is deaf came home from school today with a 101.3 fever, a swollen tonsil and a nasty red ear.  The school called so dh went to pick her up but the school is an hour and 10 minutes away.  So my poor daughter had to wait and then have the car ride home.  By the time she got in the door she was crying she didn't feel so well.  I took her up to bed, lay her down and rubbed her back for about a half hour, she then said she wanted to sleep so I came down stairs.  Interesting this illness, I feel awful that she is sick, but the up side is I get to show her what a Mother does and is.  It's a great opportunity to understand what the warm fuzzies are...  She woke up once, I feed her some fruit, two mini roll up sandwiches, a cookie and a cup of hot water and then she went back to bed but not before I gave her something for her fever and her sore throat.  For her to eat so very little when 4 helpings are standard, it means she really is sick. No school tomorrow. Hey that means i don't have to get up at 6:00 am!  But I'm sure I'll probably be up a few times with my daughter.

Don't you just hate those sales calls that come in at the most inconvenient times?  Well here I am driving along with my newer adopted daughter and my cell phone rings...  Now that's unusual because very few people have my number, only family, and a couple of friends.  So I thought there might be an emergency, I answered.  "Heelo"...Hello?"  I couldn't quite understand what was being said.  "Hello?"  Then I heard, I handed the phone to my daughter and said, "You take it, it's in Chinese..."  She took the phone and spoke for at least 6 minutes and then hung up.  I asked , "WHO was that?!"  She was laughing and trying to find the right English words.  It turns out I got a sales call from SHANGHAI !!!  They wanted me to go the the museum there and see all the exhibits that had been donated by certain citizens?  She wasn't quite sure how to explain it.  Then the person asked who was she talking to, my daughter answered, so she asked to speak to me.  My daughter said, "She doesn't speak Chinese."  A gasp of disbelief came from her and she demanded, "How can you speak Chinese if your Mother cannot?"  "I'm adopted,"  "But your Mother has to speak Chinese if you do."  My daughter said again, "I am adopted."  "Oh."  She then asked..now do believe this?  "If I call this number again, can I reach you?"  How in Heaven's name did this person from Shanghai get my phone number?  We are still shaking our heads over that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment