Saturday, July 24, 2010

I started writing this post on the 23rd, and I lapsed into the 24th because it's just after midnight, read as if it is Friday night the 23rd.

Back to the doctors this morning.  My daughter came and showed me her palms which had tiny red bumps on them and itched, and she showed me the inside of her lower lip which also had bumps... and the sore throat was still there.  The 24 hour incubation period for strep proved to be negative, thank you.  So what is all this?  Well, the doctor concluded it was Kawasaki. No medicine for it, it just has to run its course.  Is it contagious? Yup, but only when there is a fever.  Since she already had a fever for two days, everybody was exposed so that is that.

Tonight I had a date, yes, we really got it together to do it. Of course it would not have happened without the pushing and prodding of my friend who we 'double dated' with.  The food was wonderful, the conversation was satisfying, truly a very pleasant night.  For a while I was transposed to a different place.  And my dh surprised me and was very entertaining all evening.  Guess he needed a break too and didn't realize it.

Tomorrow I become one year older. I'm not sure how I am to feel about that.  We are having some people over for a BBQ. Most do not know it's my birthday. I really just enjoy having friends around, sometimes it can be lonely when you are too busy and caught up with taking care of the family to reach out to others for a break.  As we left tonight, all 5 of my daughters were sitting around the craft table making presents. I had told them when they asked me what I wanted, was that they could buy something, but if they could make something from their heart it would mean so much to me. I can't wait to see what they created!

I noticed something interesting about my new daughter today.  When she spoke Chinese to my other daughter her face lit up, and I saw expressions I have never seen on her before.  Even though they speak Chinese all the time, she was relaying information that was funny, and her expressions were amazing, she twinkled.  I had received another sales call from a Chinese woman and I gave it to my daughter who listened, spoke a few words, listened again, it seems the woman was putting on the hard sell and my daughter couldn't get a word in edgewise.  Finally the call was over and I asked her, what was going on THIS time.  Well she had so much to say and not enough English words, so she told my other daughter in Chinese what happened then she told me in English.  Talk about a three way translation!  Apparently they are opening a new business in a near by big city with a big party on Sunday and we were invited to this special opening.  We needed a password to get in, it would be the last four digits of our phone number.  And when my daughter asked what the address was, she couldn't understand the woman because the woman's accent was Hong Kongese! So I guess we can't go, darn!  My daughter also asked this woman how she had gotten my cell phone number, and she said the computer just spits out numbers and they call them...  Guess there's no escaping modern technology.

3 comments:

  1. Kawasaki is a very common summertime illness that goes around summer camps like wildfire. I hope it doesn't spread! Better to get it over with as a child though. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I pray noone else gets it. Happy Birthday!
    From your posts it seems things might be getting a bit easier! Our Alex is back to his old antics again, boy is was nice to have him behave and act like a member of a family for a while. We have been home 21 months with him now and he frustrates me to no end. Thankfully school starts in a few weeks.
    Our dossier is being sent to china on Monday-it seems to have taken forever, but we are finally this close. Hopefully soon we will know who our daughter is. Cara
    norbycj@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Kathleen. Hope you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete