Tuesday, June 15, 2010

What day is it?

I have been quite indulgent and have just allowed myself to 'relax' and not feel so compelled that I must write every night for people counting on me.

I will now try to catch up on the days missed.  Saturday was a whirlwind.  The twins had a band concert about 40 minutes away at an amusement park. It wasn't supposed to rain until late afternoon, but no one told the clouds.  Instead it rained in the morning and cleared in the afternoon!. We went early so the girls could ride on all the rides, and they did, several times on the same one. By the time the band was to play, all the rides, except two had been ridden on.  As soon as the concert started the sun came out...of course.  We couldn't waste the sunshine, so after the concert was over, they went on the two rides 3 times each that they had not been on before. I had decided early in the day that it was their day, and I wouldn't complain about the rain or my newly washed hair turning into a frizz ball, I would just say "Yes" to all they wanted to do. It was free after all.  So we arrived home about 45 minutes later, to do a quick change and off to a Bar-B-Que with the whole family. All the girls had a great time. And it was a first for my two new daughters to make and have s'mores.  Oh were they loving it!  I do believe they had at least three each.  It is a true American tradition.

Sunday, we all went to a local town street fair, another American tradition for them to participate in. There were all sorts of things for them to see and try like fresh squeezed lemonade. Squeezed right in front of them. An then there was the Dunk tank where people would throw a ball to a target and the person sitting on the platform above the tank drops into the cold water. Who knows what they thought of that, I can only imagine.

Monday my deaf daughter came home and told us about a boy that smiled and turned red looking at her. This was at the deaf school.  So I asked, "Do you like the boy?"  She turned all red and squealed and turned a way.  I persisted and signed a few more likes, kissing, sweethearts, and at each sign her face got more funny looking as she became SO embarrassed to even consider the possibility.  She was so cute and silly about the whole thing. She had us all in hysterics!

While Homeschooling my daughter today we were studying vocabulary and we came across a word, which I forget, that basically meant to re-invent oneself.  We talked about changing styles of clothes, hairstyles and several other things.  And she suddenly pops up with "I want".  "Want what?" I asked.  She wanted to take the huge risk of having her hair cut and styled, which is huge because she has never been in place that cuts hair nor wanted her bangs cut because her special Ayi at the orphanage did that for her just before she left.  Now she wants to have her hair changed and made different. So we went today.  I was a bit apprehensive of how she would react to actually having it done. When it was all finished , she was all smiles and feeling very pretty and special.  Yeah wahoo!
And we ended the night playing Go Fish with all the girls except the oldest in SIgn Language.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely update - worth waiting for :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful girls and what an amazing story. I can't wait to go back and read from the beginning. We have been home with our daughter for almost 7 months. Thanks for sharing your journey with us! Mary

    ReplyDelete