Monday, June 7, 2010

It was pointed out to me tonight that it wasn't fair that all the girls got to go to camp except my oldest.  I did ask about including her but they said that she was too old. I will try again this week to see if she can be included anyhow, because she still is emotionally and socially behind so being with kids a couple years younger would be fine.  I did write a very long email to my deaf daughter's teacher and the head of Admin.  I had reviewed all the work they were giving her in school and homework they were sending home, and all of it was not appropriate for someone that didn't know English, barely knew American Sign Language, was on a 2nd grade math level and  on a Kindergarten reading level.  Yet they were giving her 5th grade work in science, health and social studies.   I requested that she no longer take all of those courses until she was more proficient in in English, and to back her up to 2nd grade math. And if they kept her in 5th grade she would have to repeat, several times, and that would really hurt her self esteem. They received the email this morning, I have not heard from any of them...  This does not please me. I will contact them tomorrow.

My twins came home having had a wonderful time camping, huge bug bites and all. Their Girl Scout leader (who just received a special award from the National Council for her 40+ years in G.S.)  said my girls were the best, most well prepared campers and Girls Scouts that she had ever worked with.  Yes I am bursting with Mama pride.

I am still overwhelmed with this Homeschooling thing.  I have spent so many hours and have found way too much information that I am at a loss of where to start.  I have to think about maintaining transcripts, PSATs, SATs and other tests. I don't know about all this...  But I have to find a way to make it work for her.

I am subbing tomorrow and Wed., so I have to somehow make up lesson plans for those two days as well as attending to over due dentist appointments, doctor appointments, hearing aid appointments, a something else, oh yes, I am way over due on three very impt. doctor's appointments.  And then there is the Certificate of Citizenship papers...

I think I am a bit tired, feeling like I'm not accomplishing everything I need to, not giving enough to the children, concerned about my sisters, not being able to visit my Mother often enough, and not remembering the last time I felt free enough to feel happy.  And to make it complete, several times a day I feel like I am on fire from the inside out and I am excruciatingly burning up.  That is incredibly inconvenient when I'm trying to get things done, stay in a good mood, stay focused on a phone call or deal with a child's problem.  Getting old is the pits!

So on that cheery note, I say good night.

2 comments:

  1. Kathi,the person you are not giving enough to is yourself!You need to give yourself some slack! Everything will work out (though not as quickly as you would like)so just take a deep breath and go with the flow!
    Once the girls are in camp you need to come up here and join me in my gentle yoga class, then we can go sit outside at Pie Co. for brunch. That's the kind of thing you need to do for you. And I will make sure that you will!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Alex first came here, he was also put into grade level classes for Science, Social Studies and Math. He knew very little English but they said it didn't matter if he understood-it was for him to be exposed to the English. He didn't have a clue and we spent a lot of time working on those subjects with him. He did eventually start to understand. I don't know if it will work for sign language as well. Just this fall he is moving from the ELL/ESL classroom to the regular classroom for everything, I am a bit nervous because he can't write or spell very well, but I guess we will see. I suppose he can alway go back to the ESL room. Cara

    ReplyDelete