Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Round-up of the past few days


Yes, I know, I missed more than a few days.  Part of it was because I was so busy, the other part was, I don't think anyone is following the blog, so I figured I wouldn't be missed.

Saturday was..a day. The twins went to sewing in the morning, and straight from there an hours drive away, they went to this wonderful function put on by Chinese students at this University for Chinese adoptees.  They had everything so well planned out.  Chinese games, art, food, crafts, song, and so much more.  And when they are there they are assigned a 'big brother' or a 'big sister' that stays with them the whole time.  The girls went last year and loved it.  They came home with all sorts of little goodies.

While they were there I took the older daughter to her sewing lesson and picked her up an hour and a half later. (Did I mention I was feeling a bit under the weather?)  Then at 4:30 I had to drive to the next town for the concert I was singing in that night.  It was called "Invasion of the British".  We sang a lot of the songs from the 60's that were by English groups or soloists.  We brought the house down!  Sold out at 600 seats, and a standing ovation after several numbers.  They went wild.  We had such a good time.  There's about 70 in the group from ages 28-84.  Of my girls were there to cheer me on!

Sunday was rest & recover & clean...  Not the girls favorite day.  Monday I started circling my wagons to start the battle with the school system for my new daughters.  They do not want to pay to send my deaf daughter to Deaf School or bus her.  Yet, there aren't any other deaf students in the school system and no foreign language speakers.  I will also have to strong arm them to put the other daughter into the grade I think is appropriate having had 3 years experience with my other older daughter.  I know what works and what doesn't.  I had my first meeting with the Assit. Superintendant and the Principal of the Middle School.   They are great to work with, it's the Head of Special Needs that there will be World War 3.  I fought him tooth and nail for my older daughter's rights three years ago.  He had no clue what to do with an older, but immature, non-English speaker.  I finally went to the Superintendent of Schools and complained and got everything sorted out.  This  will be interesting.  I have already contacted, at State level, the person in charge of hard of hearing and deaf students in our State educational system.  I got a few tips from her and I know that she's on my side.  Next meeting, in a month or so.  And Monday night I had my usual training down at the firehouse.

Tuesday, girls go to a school exchange club after school, the older daughter has a piano lesson, and I go to chorale practice.  Somehow I got myself signed up for THREE 'concerts'.  So from a full Baroque orchestra singing Handel and traditional carols, to strolling down streets singing carols to a formal Christmas concert learning difficult harmonies, I have a lot to learn.  Did I mention that I don't read music...?






2 comments:

  1. I am following your blog, so there is at least one soul out there rooting for you.

    I have been intrigued by your hearing impaired daughter to be that I have thought more on adding that SN to our home study as well though to be fair to any such child, I'll need to know what services are available here.

    Thanks for adopting this one and getting me to consider this SN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey well you know I'm listening! And I can't wait to read "we are in China!" one day soon!!

    ReplyDelete